Welcome to the home of my music, including my recently released CD - Nothin' But Now - songs from my 2012 CD - Streets of Plenty and the popular civil liberties parody - Spyin' Eyes - featured on San Francisco's KALW (91.7 FM), Berkeley's KALX (90.7 FM), and Asheville's 103.3FM.
Vents Magazine - "While some new acts are all about blending different genres together in the search of a new sound, ...[Mike Rufo] is trying to bring back the pure days of folk music with its melodic and harmonious music reminiscent of acts such as Leonard Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel with some Beach Boys hints. Co-produced with renowned East Bay producer Gawain Mathews, Nothin’ But Now sees Rufo showcasing his continued growth as an artist while crafting a fresh modern sound that is entirely his own. Mike is also a highly passionate social activist who preaches love and positivity and has spoken out against war and government surveillance."
Jose Segue, Hicks with Sticks - "I've enjoyed playing Mike Rufo's song, "Spyin' Eyes" on KALW and KALX where the song has been a hit with listeners, staff, and some generally hard-to-impress DJs. The song even drew one of the station's engineers -- a guy who has, literally, heard it all -- out of his gear-head cave to cheer it on. I don't know if that means much in the "real" world, but it's considered very high praise in radioland."
Click to Listen "Spyin' Eyes" or use this website's audio player!
Great shows and an eastern tour coming up for Spring 2017! I'll be playing Camp Justice again April 25th in support of an incredible group of peace activists and will be doing shows in Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, DC, and NYC May 13-21st. Check out my calendar page for more info.
And thanks for an awesome 2016! I had an incredible experience releasing Nothin' But Now, playing tons of shows, and having the pleasure of performing with so many great artists and for so many great causes.
Video: Story Behind New CD, Nothin' But Now, (Released: 7/15/16)
Video for Night Birds, Song 3 from the new CD Nothin' But Now
I also play my rock tunes, and songs written by my band mate, David Johnson, in the Bay Area band No Exit. You can check out No Exit at: https://www.facebook.com/NoExitBand.BayArea and http://www.reverbnation.com/noexitsf
Folk Alliance International 2017, Kansas City, February 15-19. Had a great time playing several private showcases at Folk Alliance and co-hosting the City Roots Hollywood showcase room featured some incredible acts including Front Country, John Craigie, the Bombadils, Freebo, Doolin' and many others.
Northwest Tour - October 14-22
- 2016 Shows - See Calendar Page for Details
- December 3rd, Bazaar Stock #9! KC Turner Presents Fundraiser for MUST
- November 5th, Cafe du Soleil, SF, Make Coffeehouses Great Again: Protest Songs
- October 22, Oberon's Tavern, Ashland, Oregon
- October 21, Sam Bond's Brewing Co., Eugene, Oregon
- October 19, The Blue Room Bar, Portland, Oregon
- October 18, Le Voyeur, Olympia, Washington
- October 14, Bourbon Bar, Columbia City Theater, Seattle, Washington
- September 25th, Piedmont Jazz Festival
- September 25th, Bread & Roses Drug Rehab Facility
- August 24th, ACEEE, Dance Party, Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, CA
- August 20th, Berkeley Better World Music Fest
- August 14th, Freight & Salvage, Benefit for Veterans for Peace
- August 10, Bazaar Cafe, SF, Songwriters in the Round with Alex Jimenez and Paige Clem
- July 16th, Doc's Lab, CD Release!
- June 24-25, Grass Valley, CA (House Party/Concert)
- June 12th, Haight Asbury Street Fair, San Francisco, CA
- June 6, 13, 20, 27th, Hotel Carlton, SF, 5-6pm
- June 4th, Love Our Neighborhood Day (LOND), Oakland, CA
- May 6, 13, 20, The Yard, next to AT&T Park, SF, 5-7:30pm
- April 30th, Apple Jacks, La Honda, CA
- April 26th, Hotel Carlton, SF, 5-6pm
- April 22nd, The Cinema Bar, Los Angeles, CA
- March 30, Camp Justice, Codepink/Veterans for Peace, Creech Air Force Base, Nevada
- 2015 Shows:
- January 26, New Beginnings, Active Hope, Berkeley Fellowship Hall
- December 19, Phil Ochs Tribute, Berkeley UU
- November 14, Oakland Livable Wage Assembly
- November 6th, "Birdin' in Lodi", Sandhill Crane Birding Festival
- October 24th, Fireside Lounge, Alameda
- September 20th, The Yard, Mission Bay, SF Giants, 11am-1pm
- Sunday, August 23rd, Bazaar Cafe
- August 7th, Oakland First Friday, 8pm
- July 27th, Monday, The Yard, SF Giants, 5-7pm
- July 24th, Friday, UN Plaza, San Francisco, SF Friday Night Market
- June 20th, Hotel Utah, with Red Machine and Heavy Crowne
- May 15th, No Exit with Katdelic and Haberdasher at Awaken Cafe, Oakland
- April 30, 2015, Yoshis, Opening for Mingus Amungus, fundraiser
PSA - Bread & Roses is an amazing organization that is dedicated to uplifting the human spirit by providing free, live, quality entertainment to people who live in institutions or are otherwise isolated from society.
Video of Can You See Me, the first song on my 2012 CD, Streets of Plenty, shot on a beautiful SF rooftop.
Good times, interview with the Big Cat - Tony King! and jammin' Streets of Plenty with the house band - Fresh Juice Party! Fun starts at minute 8:55.